Sunday, July 28, 2013

another sunny day in the heart of darkness.......

The new espresso maker has decided to not work. The effort to try and make it work causing me to miss the conversation with the neighbour who stops in every Sunday to gather gossip before church. As if anything really goes on here. His wife who is now deceased, one of the "queens" , a group of women over the age 50 who meet weekly. There main goal is to talk about members who are not present, and those who are "new comers". I being a "new comer" was never welcome here. They made my life a living hell in the beginning. After a while I realized they where the catalyst to do the things I have always wanted, and be brave enough to not conform.

Because the area is made up of mostly Republicans, Sarah Palin loving (gag) Republicans I was accussed of bringing new Ideas here. In fact my first visit to the local church was very sereal. I was happy to be in a small church as my home town of Wasilla was so large. As I went to sit in the pews, the three women in front of me turned around and said, "leave you are not welcome".  I was so stunded I meekly said "goodmorning so glad to meet you" As the sermon went on the minister shouted " ther are new people moving in and they have new ideas! They will change our town and ways, we can not let this happen!" I sighed and thought " who are these fuckers?" He then pointed in the direction of my house. I was stuned. The last thing on my mind was to change anything. I moved here because Wasilla was way too big.
I had many run ins with the church, and the back stabbing of my community before I realized I was better off without them. And I sort of had a mission to bring those "new ideas" to our community. It has been said by many a great man that if we speak up and in truth those who have not the words will gain the strenth to open up and move forward.

I have come a long way since then.

“Few will have the greatness to bend history itself, but each of us can work to change a small portion of events. It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.” ― Robert F. Kennedy

4 comments:

JFBreak said...

You know, only imagine the type of church people you describe as an exaggeration in a movie. I don't have a lot of interest in church these days, and those sort of jerks certainly wouldn't make me want to return.

Simplicity said...

I am completely shocked that people in a church would treat someone that way. Maybe i'm a little gullible but like to think nothing like that would happen around here. Like JFB said above...seems more like something you'd see in a movie...Witches of Eastwick comes to mind.

Seeking Connection said...

Yes I was shocked as well. In the heart of darkness anything can happen. Fortunately I attend a church in anchorage. Long drive but worth it. They have a lesbian ppriest. And do all kinds of good work. I sing in the choir and will be holding a retreat for them next month should be fun. Need those things that keep my spirit revived.

Simplicity said...

A bit late but i'm glad you have a place to go to get your spiritual needs met.